Thursday, July 29, 2010

Winona, MN

July 29, 2010
0 miles-Rest day

A few days ago I thought when I reach Winona I was going to really use our "rest day" for rest. So today I was determined not to get on my bike. I wanted to relax and see a few sites in Winona but mainly take it easy. After all, tomorrow we will be back riding with no rest days until a half day crossing Lake Michigan. And our next real rest day won't be until Niagara Falls.

After breakfast I walked onto the campus of Winona State and saw some very nice buildings. I then walked to the post office and sent stuff I didn't need back home.

The next stop was taking a tour of replicas of the Nina and Pinta-Christopher Columbus' boats which were moored near downtown.

While there I could see various cool buildings like the courthouse and an investment building.

Winona was named after an american indian pricess that jumped off a cliff rather than marrying a man who was selected by her parents. This city is surrounded by water-to the west a lake and to the east-the Mississippi River. There are two universities, Winona State and St. Mary's.

Since this is an official rest day I thought it would be nice to include photos of the riders in our tour. They are below.

Replica of the Pinta on the Mississippi River-Winona

Winona County Courthouse

Another interesting building in Winona

Winona State

Winona State

Folks of Winona providing dinner at church

Stain glass Winona


The Riders:

Nancy (Tour Leader)-Vermont

Ken(Tour Leader)-Vermont

Dick-Vermont

Tom-Cailifornia

Ziva-Maryland

Susan-Maryland

Kim-Vermont

Saron-Vermont

Ed-Kentucky

Greg-Montana

Susie-Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment