Saturday, July 24, 2010

Brookings, SD to Tracy, MN

July 24, 2010
62 miles

When we woke up at the church this morning we saw broken limbs all over the church property from the incredibly strong storm that went through Brookings last night. The riders pitched in to move the limbs in large piles as it was a mess.

I hit the road with Greg and Susie this morning around 8 :00 a.m. The weather was now perfect for riding since the storm moved on.

We headed east on Hwy 14, which we rode all day.

About 21 miles into this ride we crossed into Minnesota. At that point I really felt I have finally crossed a threshold of 2,000 miles and made it to the Midwest.

Greg and Susie early into today's ride near the SD-MI state line


Entering a new state

There were hundreds of large windmills along the border as one enters Minnesota

The windmill blades are large


After taking pictures at the state line I raced to Tyler Minnesota for the Danish festival. I rode all over town and finally came to the fairgrounds where there was a big line to buy aebleskive, a danish dish. It is basically batter fried and syrup put on it, with a side of sausage. I had to try it to experience the town.

Then I took off on my own heading east through Florence and Balaston. This area is quite a change from SD as there were a lot of established farms, lakes, and rolling hills.

Made it into Tracy, MN around 2: 30 p.m. and helped Blaine set up the cabana and unload the luggage. We are staying at another church tonight.

After getting settled at the church I walked to a cafe that had wi-fi and updated the blog. There wasn't much going on in this little town.

Later in the evening Ed and I walked around town before hitting the sleeping bag.


Starting to see lots of lakes

Arriving in Tyler looking for the festival

People cooking the aebleskive

My danish meal in Tyler

Scenery along Hwy 14

We took US 14 all day

Arriving in Tracy, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment