Sunday, July 4, 2010

Valier, Mt To Choteau, Mt

July 4, 2010

58 miles

Nancy and Ken treated the group to breakfast at the Panther Café in Valier. During breakfast we had our meeting because we did not to have it at the usual time, the night before. Ken asked if anyone wanted to do the ride a new way to Choteau down a dirt/ gravel road instead of the traditional route. I chose the traditional route as I was on a road bike and my tires were not suitable for rough gravel.


Our accommodations last night


Ken and Nancy planning the specifics for today

Breakfast At the Panther Cafe in Valier



Ziva, Tom, and I took off around 7:30 a.m. and had to ride east toward Interstate 15 before we hit a frontage road paralleling the freeway southbound. We had tailwinds for both stretches and were moving fast. Greg and Susie also took the same route.

Tom riding in the morning


Our snack stop was in the town of Conrad. Tim and Nancy set up the trailer in a supermarket parking lot after shopping in Conrad. I had some fresh plumbs and cookies.

Ziva and Tom entering Conrad


Miles and Miles To ride

Rockies to the West


Then we had to turn west on Hwy 119 where we were met with strong headwinds for 13 miles. Once we got on Hwy 120 south the winds were a little better. This stretch was about 18 miles until we got into Choteau. We met up with Dick on Hwy 120 . He had taken the dirt road with the riders.

Ziva just before we hit the headwinds


I missed the local parade in downtown Choteau but a policeman said the rodeo started at 2:00 p.m. I turned south on Hwy 89 and found the New Life Church south of town. I grabbed a conference room for sleeping tonight.

Entering Choteau



Choteau Courthouse

1 comment:

  1. Nice Chuck. Now I am remembering the endless plains. I often got into a trance while cycling on the Montana plains. Kim and I took the dirt road; I would take it again. We met Daryl, a wheat farmer and rancher whose grandparents immigrated from Holland early 20th Century. We had a nice local color conversation. Good times.

    ReplyDelete