Friday, July 16, 2010

Spearfish, SD to Rapid City, SD

July 16, 2010
50 Miles

Last night we stayed at the dorms at Black Hills State University in Spearfish. It was a great little town. I wish I could have explored it more.

We all had breakfast at the college cafeteria at 6: 30 a.m. and loaded the truck by 7: 30 a.m. I rode today with Ziva, Dick, Susan, and Tom.

As we left Spearfish I could tell that the temp. today would be hot. We rode on frontage roads for about 10 miles east and then jumped on I 90 until Sturgis. We all got off and explored Sturgis, the capital of the big hog motorcycles. In two weeks we were told 750,000 people on motorcycles come to this place.

On I 90-Ziva and Susan with Dick and Tom in the background


Entering Sturgis-Tom, Ziva, Susan, Dick, and me


Goffing off in Sturgis


Downtown Sturgis



After Sturgis we got back on I-90 until Tilford. This part of the freeway had rumble strips across the entire shoulder every 30 yards. We just had to roll through them taking the bumps because we did not want to go out in the traffic lane.

At Tilford we were able to ride on frontage roads until we reached Rapid City. The temp. reached 96 degrees according to one bank sign.

We all went to Dunn Bros. Coffee and had blended coffee drinks before we could check into our hotel, Howard Johnson. We will stay here three nights. After I got checked in I immediately went to the pool and stayed there for one hour. What a great pool to cool down.

As I was swimming around I thought about the tour so far and thought that if I had to rate it I would give it an A++++. Ken and Nancy have organized such a great trip for us and everything is going smoothly. Tonight they are taking us out to dinner and tomorrow they are renting a large van to take us to Mt. Rushmore and Crazyhourse monuments.



Home for three nights in Rapid City

No comments:

Post a Comment