Thursday, July 15, 2010

Newcastle, Wy To Spearfish, SD

July 15, 2010
57 Miles

This is the third time for me to visit the Black Hills. Each time I am amazed by the beauty of the area. I love the green and blue tones.

I left Newcastle around 7:30 a.m. and rode with Greg and Susie most of the ride. We climbed up from Newcastle for about 29 miles. There were some steeper sections and I used my granny gear a few times.
Courthouse in Newcastle


Entering the Black Hills


The weather was perfect for the ride up. It seemed about 70 degrees with a slight tail wind. I reached the South Dakota state line about 10:30 a.m. with Greg and Susie. Then we had about a 3 miles climb farther up Hwy 85 to O'Niell Pass. Tim and Blaine set up lunch and I worked up an appetite climbing all morning.

Panorama on the way to O'Niell Pass


Nice food at the Pass

Crossing into a new state- South Dakota

Panorama of the Blackhills


Making it to O'Neil Pass with Greg and Susie



Great Green tones in the Black Hills


I was the first to start the 30 mile down hill into Spearfish via Spearfish Canyon.
There were plenty of beautiful spots to check out. Too bad the area isn't a national park to protect it.

It started to heat up to the high 80's degrees as I got lower into Spearfish Canyon. Once I entered the town of Spearfish I went to the local bike shop and had the mechanic check my bike out. Spearfish seems to be a nice little college town.

We are staying at Black Hills College in the dorms tonight. We ate at the college cafeteria which was very nice.


The beauty of the Blackhills

Spearfish Canyon

Downtown Spearfish

No comments:

Post a Comment