Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rome (Delta Lake) NY To Old Forge, NY

August 17, 2010
49 miles

I woke up this morning feeling a little chill in the air. This is the first time I felt it that cold since Glacier NP. I prefer it a little cool and it felt like around 60 degrees.

The group had breakfast at the camp cafeteria and Gail, Ed, and I headed out around 8:00 a.m. We headed north on some farm roads around Delta Lake. There were few cars on this section.

Breakfast at Delta Lake


A beautiful day to ride in the Adirondacks


When we turned onto Buckhill Rd. we hit a series of steep hills. Nancy told us last night at our meeting that this road is the steepest on the entire route. I checked my Cateye gauge and found one of the hills to be 17%. Fortunately this road wasn't as long as Stevens Pass in Wash. or Pine Canyon in Wa.

Ed almost at the top of the first hill on Buckhill Rd.


Buckhill Road (the steepest hill on the entire route at 17% grade) Nancy out front followed by Gail and Ed.



After some more country roads we got onto Hwy 28 which is also considered a NY bike route. The traffic was very busy here all the way to Old Forge. Lots of people were coming up to the Adirondacks for vacation.

We got to our hotel around 1:00 p.m. and all enjoyed eating lunch sitting in Adirondack chairs overlooking the lake. I later went to the Post Office and shipped a bunch of stuff back home that I would not be needing anymore.

Part of our group went to a restaurant/pub for dinner and had a great time.

Riding on Egypt Road

Ed and I entering Adirondack Park

Our view out of the hotel room in Old Forge

No comments:

Post a Comment