Monday, August 23, 2010

Middlebury, VT to Sharon, VT (The Last Day of a Great Tour)



August 21, 2010
65 miles
Total miles 3,641


This was the last day of the official tour. On our final day we left the Middlebury Inn and headed south to Brandon Gap. All of us had a real sense of accomplishment that we had ridden all the way to Vermont after 9 weeks on the road. We also felt a little apprehensive knowing that our lives as we have known them for more than two months would come to a close. We all had formed close relationships with each other and it was sad to think we may never see or ride with each again.

I enjoyed being with every rider throughout the trip. Each one was an amazing role model of a "can do" and positive person. Also, the two support drivers, Tim and Blaine were great. They gave me the extra lift to make it all this way.
I truly and sincerely will miss all of them.

On this final day our big job was to make it over the Gap. It was a four mile climb uphill but the last mile or two was incredibly steep with a nasty sting at the top. My cycle comp. read 12% incline, steady for about 1 mile. That tired most of us out and we all were happy to see Blaine at the summit with some snacks.

Heading south on Vermont country roads from Middlebury


Sharon and Kim reaching the summit of Brandon Gap


Snack stop at summit of Brandon Gap


The ride down the summit was very good and Lesa said it was one of the best down hill rides she has had. At the bottom of the Gap we turned north in order to stop at a coffee house in Rochester.

Lesa speeding along after a fast down hill from Brandon Gap


Kim finally found a coffee cup that will satisfy her love of java in Rochester


After about a half hour at the coffee shop we turned back south and headed toward Sharon, VT about 20 miles away. Ed, I and Sharon were in front in South Royalton and made the final turns to the entrance to Ken and Nancy's street a little east of Sharon. We stayed at the bottom of the road to wait for others to arrive. We felt we came all this way and we were going to arrive at the house at the same time together.

The rest of the group arrived at the entrance to Fay Brook Road shortly after we did with Nancy. We decided it would be great to follow Nancy the last mile to her house. It was a wonderful last mile with all of us riding right behind Nancy to the house. This is how it all started in Seattle with Nancy leading the whole group the first few miles out of the city. So it was very special to have her lead us the final mile.

Blaine was ready as we approached and had food set out for us. As we sat and ate lunch on Ken and Nancy's porch we talked about the trip and thanked the
W's for all their work making the tour wonderful. Dick, who rode with us from Seattle to Luddington, MI drove to the Ws' house to met us. Tim, our first support driver also drove to the Ws' house to meet us. He was sporting a new mustache. Also, John, who had ridden on a previous cross country tour came to the house to join us for the celebration.

In about two hours most of the group had gone their separate ways. Ed, John, Lesa and I stayed the night and wanted to attempt riding farther into Maine. However, the weather report for the next several days wasn't good. But I thought I'd give it a shot and if it got too dangerous I could always bail out.

On Sunday when we woke up it was pouring rain but we headed out anyway. Nancy was scratching her head wondering why would we want to ride in bad weather. After ten miles of riding in New Hampshire with horrible shoulders and lots of traffic I decided it was better to end the trip with the frame of mind as we all did yesterday than riding two more days in horrible conditions.

I went back and stayed at Tim's house near the VT-NH border. Tom was there too and we had a good time hanging out and enjoying a good dinner. Today I am heading to Boston and hope to see a few relatives I have not seen in many years.

The final mile on Fay Brook Road-Nancy (only rear tire visible on the left) in the lead


Reflecting about the trip on Nancy and Ken's porch




The group all together one last time.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck, congratulations job well done. I think you will find the next few days time for much introspection and decompression. What an accomplishment, best of luck in the future.

    Jim Conboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck, I have now read your last BAA blog entry and find myself deeply moved by your expressions of affection toward our wonderfully majestic group. You awaken and further deepen similar such feeling that I hold; it is my expectation that my BAA experience will only become more dear over the coming years.

    It was, of course, my wish that we had ridden to Maine together. Please know that I carried you in my thoughts and heart while I rode those add-on miles to reach the Atlantic. In my Grandfather's view, you and I are simply left with the "seeds" for riding together again -- wherever that might be.

    While sitting here writing this comment in my daughter's Brooklyn condo with the Statue of Liberty visible through her window, I thought it fully appropriate that I open a Laguinta Pale Ale of Petaluma, CA to hold sacred the moment. I do so now in the land of the Brooklyn Brewery with a pint of Laguinta in hand. L'chayim!!!

    Thanks for your great generosity of heart over the last 9 weeks.

    With affection and deep respect -- and, as men may now express --

    With love,

    Ed,
    Brother of the BB and the BAA

    ReplyDelete