Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fremont, MI to Alma, MI

August 5, 2010
78 miles

Well, it had to happen some time, I guess. I got my first flat of the entire tour today. Luckily I noticed it at a rest stop near a store in Howard City. (However, my bike is performing incredibly well and the only mechanical problem I had so far was a flat! It is a wonderful bike)

This morning we left Fremont at around 7:30 a.m. and had to cover a lot of miles today. There were many turns initially and we were lucky as Nancy had chalked this area to keep us on the route. However, when we got to Newaygo we still had trouble locating the right route and had to ask for directions to Howard City. From Newaygo to Howard City was a straight shot on a busy highway (M82). I was out ahead of Susan, Ziva and Tom and I guess I ran over something that gave me a slow leak. At Howard City Tom and I went into a supermarket and got something to drink. When we came out I noticed my rear tire was flat. Susan and Ziva just pulled in and we all walked my bike to a shaded area in the parking lot where I put in a new tube. We all got back on the road quickly.

Tom, Susan and Ziva nearing Howard City


We met up with Ed, Kim and Sharon a short time later and all made it to the lunch stop near the Cheese Factory. This area has a lot of Amish people working on farms. They were selling milk products at the store.

The gang near our lunch stop at the Cheese Factory

Amish Cart near the Cheese Factory near Coral


Amish Buggy east of Howard City


After lunch we headed east with a slight threat of rain. We only got a few drops and the clouds disappeared. When we turned on McBride Road out of the town of McBride the road surface turned to dirt for about 3 miles. We weren't sure if we should be on this road until Susan asked someone living on a small farm for directions. We continued on the road and finally got to Alma around 3:00 p.m.

I noticed part of the college on the left side of the road. When I turned left onto a sidewalk ramp I hit some gravel and took a spill injuring my hand. A little later we saw that the dorm we were staying was on the opposite side.

Jim C. a trustee of the College and a former BAA rider in 2008 came to the dorms to visit. Ed and I talked with him for a while and then saw him later at the college cafeteria for a catered dinner. Our group met for dinner in a nice large room on campus and we were joined by about 10 students and a few teachers from the school.

Tonight we are staying in new dorms on the Alma College Campus. Ed and I are sharing a very large suite in the dorm hall.


Stone siding house on McBride Road

Our home for the night-Alma College Dorms


Alma College Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment