Saturday, August 14, 2010

Brockport, NY to Newark, NY

August 14, 2010
59 miles

Dinner provided by folks at the Brockport church


Today was a shorter day bicycling so everyone was in the frame of mind to take it easy.
Yesterday I bought an MP3 player because I knew I would be on the Erie Canal bike trail today for a long time. I loaded the player with music and rode the first part of the trail by myself. John and Lesa were ahead of me all the way to Specerville.

John and Lesa on the Erie Canal Trail out of Brockport


Near Rochester I met up with Gail, Ken, and Nancy and rode with them to Pittsford. This little town was very nice along the Erie Canal. There were restaurants that overlooked the canal. Gail and I had a great Greek salad overlooking the canal.

Then we headed east on the trail but it soon became very ashy so we jumped back onto Hwy 31/Bike trail 5 all the way to Newark. In the area of Palmaya a couple suggested we take an alternative route which turned out to be a dead end so I got back onto Bike Trail 5 and met up with Ken, John, and Lesa and followed them into Newark where we were staying at a Presbyterian church. In the evening we had dinner at a bar/grill and to my delight they had beer from Sonoma County. Well, of course I had to support my home county and had some Lagunitas IPA.

Erie Canal Trail

Genesse River

Stopping for a break on the Erie Canal Trail with Gail and Ken

Rowing team in Rochester, NY

Gail and Ken riding on the Erie Canal Trail

Boats lowered in the lock on the Erie Canal

No comments:

Post a Comment