Thursday, August 12, 2010

Port Burwell, Ont (Canada) To Selkirk Ont. (Canada)

August 10, 2010
58 miles

We didn't have the greatest sleep at the Port Burwell campground. Some guys in a nearby campsite were making a lot of noise late at night. Also it poured around 11:00 p.m. so the tents got wet and muddy.

Once we folded up the tents I saw that my bike had fallen in the storm and the mirror had broken off. I tried to fix it but the plastic mount wouldn't hold together. (Mirrors were essential on the tour and I felt a little naked without it.)


Fortunately in the morning it had cleared and the riding conditions were good. Ed, Tom and I decided to head out early and enjoy the morning.

Leaving Port Burwell Campground, Tom and Ed in the lead



We stopped in Port Rowan and had an iced coffee in this nice town. Others in the group also joined us in the cafe.

We had our lunch stop in a small pull out overlooking a marsh area near Lake Erie. Then we rode to Normandale for ice cream.

Before Port Dover I saw that my odometer was approaching the 3,000 mile mark. Ed, Tom and I pulled over to celebrate and mark the spot for others. Lesa and John pulled up and Lesa took a picture of us at the 3,000 mile mark.

Odometer clicks over for 3,000 miles

Marking the spot where we hit 3,000 miles


Ed, Tom, and I celebrating reaching 3,000 miles


Then Ed and I rode to the beach area in Port Dover and saw hundreds of people swimming in Lake Erie. We saw Nancy and Ken having lunch at a cafe in town.

Beach at Port Dover- Lots of people enjoying the 72 degrees water


As we got to the Selkirk area some of the roads weren't marked. I could not use my GPS as we were going into a "provincial park" and the garmin map did not have the roads of the park on it. We flagged down some motorcyclists but they didn't know the area. Then Ken showed up and we followed him into the camp.

This camp area was very nice with great views of Lake Erie.

Ed and Ken riding the last few miles toward the campground

Sharon, Kim, and Ziva drying out tents from the rain in Port Burwell

Panorama of view of Lake Erie from our campsite

Dinner at the Haldimand Conservation Center-One of the best camping spots

No comments:

Post a Comment