Thursday, June 24, 2010

Leavenworth , Wa To Waterwille, Wa

June 22, 2010
45 Miles

Every evening before a ride, we have a meeting to discuss the next day's ride. Nancy hands out detail instructions for the route. Last evening during our meeting in Leavenworth Ken talked about an area we will be riding called Pine Canyon. It is a 7 mile climb in a desert setting. He kind of got me a little concerned so I planned to head out early to beat the heat.

Breakfast at Mrs. Anderson's Bed and Breakfast

Leaving Leavenworth-Even the McDonald's has a Bavarian style


The Safeway Market- Leavenworth Style


Nancy leaving Leavenworth



From Leavenworth the first 20 miles is downhill to the Columbia River in Wanatchee. It was a great ride and the temperature was mild.

I rode solo to Cashmere about 10 miles down the highway. This town was very quaint. The applets and couplets tour wasn't open as I rode in pretty early.

Entering the cute Town of Cashmere


Next I rode to Wanatche and saw a guy on the bridge over the Columbia river who was in the other cycle group. He had two flats. I offered to help him but he said a SAG was coming with tubes.

Going Toward the Columibia River



Next I rode to our lunch stop in Orando next to a C-store. The route to Orando followed the Columbia river where there were a lot of fruit stands.

The Columbia River Before Our Lunch Stop Panorama


Once we turned north to follow the Columbia it started to get hotter. I was riding fast today and got to the lunch stop first. From there I headed up Pine Canyon and poured water on my shirt and head before I left. The ride up Pine Canyon wasn't bad and Ken said we were lucky because the area is experiencing a cool wetter June. He said on past tours the temperature was much hotter.

I arrived in Waterville just after Ken. We were staying at the United Lutheran church. After taking a shower, Sharon, Ed, Kim and I went to the local pool and swam. Later we walked around this small town and stopped in a local saloon to have a beer. We had pasta for dinner again.

The day's ride consisted of a relatively flat ride to Wanatchee and then a 7 mile climb up Pine Canyon to Waterville.


Entering Waterville at the end of the day's ride


Home for the night, the Waterville Lutherin Church


When we don't have a laundromat we do it the old fashion way


Kim, Sharon, Ed and I celebrating in Waterville after making it up Pine Canyon


Dinner at the church

1 comment:

  1. NIce moments in Waterville. I remember the friendly and welcoming bartender.

    ReplyDelete